114: Biography of my bag.
This is my bag.
I love my bag.
I seldom go anywhere without it, and it’s full of everything I would ever need. Some would say that makes it a purse, and they would be right. I carry a purse, and it’s great.
So, I figured I’d dedicate a post to one my all-time-favorite tools–my bag.
Let’s start with the buttons:
Here’s a handy reference sheet, just because it’s more fun this way.
- Felt spatula made by my good friend Susanna
- Creepy two-headed doll pin
- CBC logo pin, because I’m a Canadaphile. …
- Etsyrain pin. They gave it to me at a craft show, and I had room.
- The best whale button ever!
- Remember Book It? In elementary school they gave you a star for every book you read, and when you collected 5 stars, Pizza Hut would give you a free personal pan pizza. Bribery works, people.
- “Plush You.”
- “Take the Pepsi Challenge!” It’s not only an awesome button, it’s big enough to cover the Boeing logo that’s on my bag, so people stop asking me if I work there.
- “Atheist” ambigram by yours truly.
- Some cute little bird?
- “I don’t believe you.” An excellent conversation starter.
- Some sparkly elephant thing. I found it at a thrift store, and the price was right (probably about $0.15).
- The Stranger. Seattle’s only newspaper.
- “Vote for Joe Holloran. Careb President 76. Pueblo Board of Realtors.” He looks funny.
- “AFL/CIO Retail Clerks Union October 1977” I think it’s a pretty button.
- “listen to THE magnetic fields” because I do.
So, that’s all cool, but what’s inside my bag?
What are the things I can’t live without that I always carry with me?
I’m so glad you asked:
- Chess/backgammon set. I’ve got to be prepared for anything. I don’t play backgammon, but it was attached. Maybe someday I’ll learn.
- Earplugs. Because I’m the type of person who wears them at concerts, but then you probably already assumed that when you saw the chessboard. Get off my lawn!
- Fortune cookie fortune (Is there a better way to say that?): “You are headed in the right direction. Trust your instincts.” I’m not normally one for inspirational quotes, but I am one for eating cookies and not cleaning out my bag regularly.
- Smart phone. (latest addition)
- Letter-pressed greeting cards with my name on them. If someone ever does something nice for me, they can get a thank you card on the spot… I still have them all.
- Yankee yarmulke. I’m not Jewish, but you never know when it might come in handy. Actually, this is another one of those things I acquired and never took out of the bag.
- Sketch book #1. Pages and pages of blank paper.
- Pocket tripod. Actually, it’s a quadpod.
- SD disk. Full of important files and secret microfiche.
- Bluetooth phone handset. You never know when you need to perform some light slapstick.
- Headphones #1.
- Zune. Yes, Zune. Shut up. It’s a good product.
- Inhaler. Nerds represent! I can’t tell you how excited I was when I was told I should start carrying one by a doctor. Now, if I could just get some glasses.
- Multitool w/ backup flashlight. Bring on a blackout, I dare you!
- Black Sharpie with a dull tip.
- Fancier black Sharpie. Hands off, point smasher. You can borrow the other one.
- Blue Sharpie.
- Some string. How many times have you needed some string but didn’t have any? Well, whose fault is that?
- Black Micron 005
- Red Micron 005
- Black Micron 05. I used to have a few others, but it was totally unnecessary.
- Charging cord
- BooBerry Chapstick. Like the cereal.
- Titanium drinking straw. Totally necessary.
- Business cards
- Sketchbook #2. For scratch paper and pre-sketches. Gotta keep the real sketchbook looking good.
- Headphone splitter. Now we can both listen to this hilarious podcast. Yes, Zunes get podcasts. Shut up.
- Stamp ink pad.
- Backup deodorant. You’re welcome.
- Lighter. I don’t smoke, I just like fire.
- Printer’s loupe (12x magnifying glass). Now you know who to call when you get a splinter.
- Toothpicks in a carrying case.
- Stamp box.
- Stamp in the shape of my face. Works as a signature.
- Moist towelette. I used to have more. I need to restock.
- Nail clippers.
- Matches (see 34).
- Headphones #2, for sharing or backup.
- Mustache comb. I could probably do away with this, now that I’m no longer sporting the handlebar.
- Some antennae thing I found. It telescopes, which is useful, and it has an interesting shaped end, so it could be an excellent long-range honey stealer if given the opportunity.
- Knife/clip. For when you need to to secure a knife to your pants.
- Mustache wax. I could definitely do away with this, now. But it is great stuff.
- Lotion. Some people get rough elbows. It’s normal.
- Chopsticks. Like carrying a fork, but more useful.
- Pencil. Seriously? I only have one pencil in this whole bag? What happened to my others?
- Not pictured: The camera I took this shot with.
Whoa. I didn’t plan on exactly 50 things. Cool. Here’s a few closeups:
So what do you think? Am I missing something?
What do you carry with you everywhere?