66: Truckstache, Revisited
One of my most popular posts on this blog was the 3rd one I ever did (available for viewing here), in which I dressed up my neighbor’s ugly, abandoned pickup in a fancy disguise. It made me happy to turn something I hated so much into something I was proud of.
But sadly, the Mr. Pickupington is no more. The mustache was stolen first, probably about 3 months after I made it. Then, the hat was either taken or thrown away much later. So, the only thing that remained was the monocle, which is not a very impressive costume:
You can barely even see it. Also, my landlady has stopped cutting that side of the bush, hoping to eventually cover the truck completely.
So, I decided to redo it, and this time I went full-Groucho.
If you care about that kind of thing, pictures of the process are after the jump. There’s plenty, because this project actually took a full week.
I took some measurements and built a scale model in Illustrator. Then I sketched out a design that would fit.
The main problem came when I inventoried all the wood I had in the house. With some creative cutting and rotating, I was able to fit everything on the 3 pieces of plywood I already had.
Then I transferred the sketch onto the wood (using a grid, and my supreme estimation skills), and cut everything out.
I glued and pieced them all together, and they fit! Yes!
The screws are just to hold it together until the glue dries.
Than came the paint. Here you can see the gridlines I used to transfer the sketch.
It was about this time that I did a full walk around the truck. My plan was to actually hang the glasses on the side mirrors of the tuck, like ears. There was a problem though.
The left ear is intact, but the passenger side is missing a mirror. Well, damn.
I decided to make a prosthetic ear, which was difficult, because it involved sneaking around the truck to my neighbor’s side and taking precise measurements.
The finished piece screws into the holes left by the missing mirror. I make all of my additions non-damaging, because as much as I hate this truck, and as much as it is an actual piece of junk, I am aware that it is not my property.
Then, Tony and Kevin stopped by. I put them to work, painting. Hi guys!
You can see the terrible patchwork carpentry that I threw together from the back.
Here’s Meg with the near finished product. Such a great photo, I had to include it.
Installation went smoothly with two people. Just like putting on a pair of glasses, and then wiring them to your face.
I always get excited when my measurements work out. It’s a little thing, but it’s awesome.
What a good-looking guy. I really hope nobody steals this for a while. We’ll see.
And from across the street, he still looks great.
Welcome back, Mr. Pickupington.
Thanks for reading, and special thanks to Aaron for donating to making this post possible!
See ya next week (Hopefully this makes up for last week).
Neighbor called cops. That was unnecessary. Seems like he didn’t want anybody defacing his trash pile (or I guess “re-facing” is more appropriate). Officer was nice, polite, sympathetic to the “It’s been here for 10 years” complaint. I took it down, and now I’m deciding what to do with it. It had a good 8 hours of exposure, and he lives on in the archives of the internet.
Meanwhile, I put it in my yard, and people who came by laughed and took pictures. That made me feel good.